POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Questionable Content on the Newsgroups : Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups Server Time
3 Aug 2024 14:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable Content on the Newsgroups
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Apr 2004 03:10:02
Message: <c4r0m4$22c$1@chho.imagico.de>
Samuel T. Benge wrote:
> It seems my favorite newsgroup on the POV-Ray news server has been
> darkened by pornography. Of course I'm talking about binaries.images.
> Webster's dictionary defines pornography as, "obscene literature or
> pictures." Can you call what has been posted anything less? There is a
> time and a place for such things, but I never thought the POV-Ray
> newsgroups would be one of the places.
>
> It is because of this I won't be posting anything there anymore. I don't
> have to put up with people who insist what they are doing 'has to be
> accepted'. I am not blind to the world portrayed in those images, but I
> don't have to be reminded *every time* I visit the newsgroups. As a side
> note, my message filters don't work or else I'd use them.

While i understand this you also have to keep in mind that there are
only very few postings recently with images attached that can be
classified as pornographic.  Most postings by the person we are talking
about here only contain links - which i did not visit and i don't intend
to.

The real problem to me seems a quite different one, the person who
posted these does not seem to be interested in feedback from people here
and does not want to be part of the community.  The broad availability
of the newsgroups on the web (including google searching) will certainly
increase the number of this kind of postings.

I suggest you try to get your killfile working for the moment - i am
pretty sure this problem will vanish after some time in one way or the
other.

Christoph

Last updated 21 Mar. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______